1920
2014
Langevin Block and Rideau Club on Wellington
Langevin Block and Rideau Club on Wellington
Title: Langevin Block, Ottawa, Ont. Reference number: 3319263
We gave it a
-3
NCC could not think of anything better than a statue and tourism info centre.
Visitors's vote
-0.6
89 votes
Vote here
  • -5
  • -3
  • 0
  • +3
  • +5
better
now
better
before
This archival photo shows the Langevin Block, the first federal building to be built outside the hill.  The building on the West side of the Langevin Block is the former Rideau Club which was demolished in 1979 after it had been damaged by a fire.  Forty years later, Public Works Canada and the NCC could think of anything better to occupy this prime location right in front of Parliament and add more to the already prestigious Wellington Street.

More subtlety, we can see buildings East (on the left hand side on the photo) of the Langevin Block where there is now the War Memorial.  Slowly but surely, they let the urban fabric of that block (between Elgin and Sparks) erode and completely demolished it when the Russell House was destroyed by a fire.  The continuum of buildings between the Langevin Block and the Union Station is no longer and allowed Wellington Street to be widened to 6 lanes.


x close

Stay Updated!

Receive an email everytime we publish a new comparison.








submit

ps. don't worry, we keep your email for ourself.