change
Order
Display
~1900
2015
Elgin Street Public School around 1900
Elgin Street Public School in 2015
Title: Untitled. Reference number: CA001480
We gave it a
-3
Imposing building replaced by generic one.
Visitors's vote
-4.4
106 votes
Vote here
  • -5
  • -3
  • 0
  • +3
  • +5
better
now
better
before
The Elgin Street Public School at the corner of Gilmour Street in Ottawa has considerably changed.On top of the main door, a sign said: 1840 Public School....
~1910
2015
Elgin Street around 1910 with the Parliament in background.
Elgin Street in 2015 with the Parliament in background.
sources
The Way We Were
Title: Untitled. Reference number: No reference number provided.
We gave it a
-3
A friendlier Elgin Street is depicted in the 1910 photo.
Visitors's vote
+0.3
92 votes
Vote here
  • -5
  • -3
  • 0
  • +3
  • +5
better
now
better
before
The last block of the northern section of Elgin Street between Sparks Street and Wellington Street is almost unrecognizable.   The only still standing building is the East Block since the Centre Block was at its first iteration before it was destroyed by the 1916 fire.  The Langevin Block at...
Read more >>
~1945
2015
Snowed up Elgin Street in Ottawa around 1945
Snowed up Elgin Street in Ottawa in 2015
Title: Untitled. Reference number: No reference number provided.
We gave it a
-5
Much wider Elgin Street and lost of several heritage buildings.
Visitors's vote
-0.6
72 votes
Vote here
  • -5
  • -3
  • 0
  • +3
  • +5
better
now
better
before
This photo shows how snow removal was done in the streets of Ottawa around 1945.The landscape around Elgin Street was then quite different and the only still standing building in both photo is the Lord Elgin Hotel (1941).  The Laurentian Club, the Grand Union Hotel and the Aylmer Apartments (on...
Read more >>
1898
2015
St. Luke's General Hospital in 1898 at the corner of Elgin Street and Gladstone Avenue.
St. Luke's Park in 2015 at the corner of Elgin Street and Gladstone Avenue.
Title: St. Luke’s Hospital Reference number: CA-001482
We gave it a
-4
Heritage building demolished. Bungalows took over.
Visitors's vote
-4.2
106 votes
Vote here
  • -5
  • -3
  • 0
  • +3
  • +5
better
now
better
before
St. Luke's General Hospital was inaugurated in 1898 and was located at the corner of Elgin Street and Gladstone Avenue.  The hospital was mainly founded by Henry Pulteney Wright with a $10 000 donation.  Other local businessmen such as John Booth and H. N. Bate, also contributed financially.The city of...
Read more >>
x close

Stay Updated!

Receive an email everytime we publish a new comparison.








submit

ps. don't worry, we keep your email for ourself.